Saturday, August 8, 2009

Making Martha Stewart proud!

Alright, so it's not some huge secret that I am not a fan of cooking, but I'm not completely lost in the kitchen either. I know my way around...somewhat. I like to try new recipes and I think my lack of enthusiasm in the kitchen really comes from lack of time. The past 3 months have also kept me away from the kitchen since shortly after I would be visiting the bathroom to hang my head over the toilet, but I will spare you those details. I've been feeling better lately and I've made a conscious effort to cook more. This afternoon brought a really good oppurtunity for me to try out some baking skills. Brooklyn was sent a HUGE shipment of blueberries from my Auntie Ida and Uncle Jun in Chicago. SO many blueberries and I know if we let her Brooklyn would devour all 10 lbs of them one sitting. In order to avoid that I have been on the hunt of some good recipes involving blueberries. I attempted the classic blueberry muffin (with a lemon zest!)this afternoon. Not tricky by any means, but the recipe was called "Big Beautiful Muffins" and they weren't kidding! I had pulled them out of the oven right when Brett was walking in from work (perfect Donna Reed moment, just that I wasn't wearing an apron) and he found me standing in front of my baking creation in complete awe. Big and Beautiful...they weren't kidding! Completely different then the boxed muffin mix that I usually assemble. I was sold right then and there to make everything by scratch! I made Brett grab my camara so I can document my great achievement. And here's the result.








Brett thought it was riduculous that I wanted to capture this on film, but I was truly rather impressed. Again, not a hard recipe to follow so I am sure many "martha stewarts" out there are chuckling at my feat, but this was indeed a proud moment for me. I've found my way back into the kitchen after 3 months of wanting to neglect it's existance. Good thing I don't have a picky eater for a hubbie! It makes cooking that much more fun because I know he'll eat just about anything that I put in front of him....poor guy!

3 comments:

Casey said...

I love making blueberry pancakes for Brooks! And those muffins do look beautiful...post the recipe!

Becky said...

Yummer!!! We're on our way over. :-)

Riecke's said...

I made pancakes with blueberries this morning. But unlike you, I hate cooking, so I'm extra proud...and what our hubbies must be really proud to have us barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen! Enjoy the moment, not gonna happen much here. hee hee! Did you save me a muffin?