Wednesday, April 28, 2010

10 years ago yesterday.....

the continutation....

Little did I know that Brian did decide to pass along my phone number to Brett. Surprised by a phone call, but remember the butterflies in my tummy when I discovered it was Brett on the phone. It was a casual conversation, typical getting to know you type of call. I poked and proded during the chat to find out more about him and his life. I recall talking about his family and learning about how he ended up in Arizona from North Dakota. We chatted about how I ended up attending ASU and why in 3 more weeks I would be moving back to Chicago to attend Nursing School. I asked about his dating history and the trend of "2 week wonder" came up. I danced around the topic of my dating situation, unsure of how to bring it up. After about an hour we started to close the conversation up and nervously I brought up the fact that at the time "I kinda sorta...have a boyfriend" He laughed and told me that he just wanted to call and chat just to get to know me, making it seem like he had known all along. I knew very well that at that moment after our conversation with the butterflies still lingering in the tummy that "kinda sorta" probably meant not for much longer. (Okay, in my defense, before you all draw conclusions that I was a bad girlfriend at the time...I wasn't. Let's also remind you I was only 20 years old. I was honest with my feelings and respectful towards others, and I'll just leave it at that.) I was drawn to Brett and he had me hooked. Brett had succeeded in sparking my interest. The next day about 10 years ago yesterday Brett called again to invite me and my girlfriends to hang out and go to a party with him and his friends. Tara, Nicole and I got dolled up and headed to his place to meet up with his friends. Kelly Heetland, someone I had known since my freshman year thru the sorority/fraternity connection, also Brett's best friend from the diaper years, was one of his friends we went out with. Brett was living with Travis Mantle and I remember meeting both Travis and Nicole (his girlfriend at the time, now his wife and still great friends of ours) for the first time that night. After hanging out at his place for a bit we headed to the party. Now I have to laugh because one of my fondest memories of Brett is the case of "ZIMA" he had in tow during the party. (Where can I buy Zima 10 years later?!) Lord, how he won me over with the Zima, I have NO IDEA! After the party we came back to my apartment and all hung out some more. I remember Kelly tooling around on my computer and we were all laughing over the scandolous websites he came across. We hugged goodbye as the night ended, but I think we both knew that it was truly just the beginning.....

1 comment:

Casey said...

Keep them coming Mae...I love these kinds of stories. Maybe I'll copy you in two years :) I only have 11 days of school left and hope that maybe we can make arrangements to get together.