Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hunger Pains for momma


My normally very very laid back child has been going through a rather "tough" period. And this is what it has left me...

Up at 11pm holding her. I assume since she only has 6 teeth and is pushing 16 months old that the others are bound to surface soon and that's the root of her drama. Fussy, feverish, crabby, and fussy. I can put up with the crying and the deep down I love that when she's feeling cruddy she likes to cuddle. What Mamma doesn't love the cuddling part?! What I can't handle is the picky eater she's become. Actually...scratch that. She's anorexic. I'm happy when she eats 1 or 2 bites....tonight I got her to eat some chicken and edamame. She downs milk no problem, but eating has been a battle. I know they go through this phase and I should expect it since Brooklyn did the same, but lets all recall Brooklyn a year and a half ago. CHUBBY Cheeks that she was probably storing food in. I wasn't worried and I never had to resort to feeding her crappy food to get her to eat. She'd eat when she wanted and she'll eat what is put in front of her no problem. Jump forward now to Alexis. Notorious for he incredibly petite size. Pushin 18.5 lbs. Wears size 3-6 month clothing. I don't have much room to spare here people! She's not even on the growth chart.... hovering below the first line. The no eating thing has only happened over the past few days, but boy has it SUCKED! Normally she'll eat just fine....loves brocoli. I even argued with the Dr who suggested I beef up her calories by putting butter and cheese on her brocoli. I'd rather teach her good eating habits by not having to put the extra calories on a steamed veggie. Lord knows kids eating veggies can be problematic, I opted to give her a cheese stick later for a snack. That rationale worked up until a few days ago. Now I'm happy if my child will eat a cookie! Praying she gets past this soon.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I feel your pain Mae. Brooks has barly gained a pound since his 2 year check up. She'll come around. I think finally for the first time over the last few days he has felt what full is like.

Nicole said...

Hey Jonah is going throught the same thing....his eye teeth have been wanting to come in for months and his appetite has suffered from it...at his last dr appt he had even lost 1 lb...down to 24lbs. I try not to worry since he is a big guy to begin with but still no fun for mama anxiety. He will down milk all day and eat whatever I will hand-feed him (oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce) but other than goldfish crackers, he wants nothing else....good luck and just remember it will pass.